Keeping your lights and internet on: Unison’s response during COVID-19
As an essential infrastructure provider for our customers and communities, Unison is focused on ensuring both the power and fibre networks are operational at all times as part of its response to COVID-19.
We continue to closely monitor the situation and are focused on ensuring the wellbeing of our customers, and our people who play a critical role in keeping the power on.
What we are doing
Unison’s dedicated Pandemic Response Team meet daily to lead our response. They are implementing our Pandemic Epidemic Management Plan, planning for different scenarios and putting measures in place to keep our teams safe and the network secure.
Our response is closely aligned to the Government and Ministry of Health pandemic strategy and centres around our safety-first approach.
We are taking all necessary steps to ensure we continue to provide exceptional service to our customers. But some of our measures change the way we interact with our customers.
- If you need us, call 0800 2 UNISON (0800 2 86476) or 0800 2 FIBRE (0800 2 34273). You will be asked if anyone at the location is self-isolating. Please always maintain a two-metre distance from our crews (or move to another part of your home while our crew is there), and don’t be alarmed if our people are dressed in appropriate protective clothing – which could include masks, goggles, gloves, or overalls.
- Visiting Unison: Visitors are no longer allowed into our offices and contracting depots in Hawke’s Bay, Taupo, Rotorua or Dunedin to limit the spread of COVID-19.
- Work on the network: With much of the community now based from home – and more reliant on the continuity of power – we are carrying out work that is essential in ensuring the reliability of our network, and the safety of our community. If you have been notified that your property will be affected by a planned shutdown, please check the outages page of our website here. We will do our very best to minimise the impact on your power supply while any essential work is completed.
If you have any questions about essential work in your area, please call us on 0800 2 86476 and we will do what we can to support you.
Other steps we are taking:
- We’ve put steps in place to support our teams to work from home during the Level 4 COVID-19 lockdown. This includes using technology for meetings.
- For our business-critical functions that can’t work from home, such as our control room and field staff, we have added additional precautionary measures, including restricted access into the control, ensuring field-staff keep a two-metre distance during all site visits and additional hygiene practices are being put in place.
- Securing our operations and supply chain requirements by working closely with our service providers and partners to understand their pandemic response and ensure they can continue to service us.
We are watching developments closely and our Pandemic Response Team will continue to meet regularly to work through emerging scenarios.
Our approach needs to be dynamic, given the uncertainty of COVID-19, to ensure continuity of supply, to keep our people well and help prevent to the spread of COVID-19 in New Zealand.
Thank you and stay safe
We thank you for your ongoing support and cooperation during this uncertain time. Please take care of yourselves and your whānau and check in with those around you.
For the latest COVID-19 information & updates click here