0800 2 UNISON

0800 2 86476

Visit the Greatest Supporter site!

Power at my Home

As a home or property owner, it is important to be aware of your responsibilities around the electrical assets which deliver power to your residence.

Tell me about electrical safety at my home »

Who owns the electrical assets on my property?

As the distributor of electricity in Hastings, Napier, Rotorua and Taupo, we own, manage, and maintain all electrical assets located outside the boundaries of private properties.

Any electrical assets inside your property boundary, such as power lines and poles, underground cables and power boxes will in most cases be owned by you, the property owner.

In these cases, you are responsible for all management and maintenance (and the associated costs) of these assets.  For example, if there is a problem or damage to the service line connecting your house to Unison’s power lines in the street, in most cases you will be responsible for all costs associated with repairing the line.

How does electricity get to my house?

Unison Networks is the local electricity distributor, responsible for making sure electricity reaches your home.  New Zealand’s National Grid operator, Transpower, takes the electricity from generation points like the Clyde Dam and the Tararua Ranges’ windfarm and distributes the electricity to ‘Grid Exit Points’ (GXPs) around the country. Unison connects to its local GXPs and uses underground and overhead lines to transport the electricity to homes and businesses.