3 October 2019 – Following three tough days of competition last week at HB Regional Sports Park, Unison Contracting Services’ Hawke’s Bay team was announced winner of Annual Connection’s 2019 National Line Mechanic Team Competition.
Annual Connection is the premier lines competition held annually and organised by Connexis ITO, the infrastructure industry training organisation.
This year 12 companies entered teams into the competition: Unison, Waipa Networks, PowerNet, Independent Line Services, Mainpower, Electra Ltd, Electrix, WEL Networks, The Lines Company, Connetics, PBA, and Curry Power – Australia.
Regional lines competitions have been happening for more than 50 years, however for the past 18 years it has become a national event under Connexis ITO. Unison Contracting has an impressive record winning the national title in 2015 and 2016, and coming second in 2017 (not fielding a team in 2018).
Winning again in 2019 exemplifies the depth of skills and teamwork that exists in the contracting side of Unison’s business.
“Not only does the competition give crews an opportunity to benchmark their workmanship against other skilled line mechanics and cable jointers, but it forges solid friendships and respect between teams,” said Unison Contracting Services CEO, Charles Kaka.
Unison Contracting received 11 awards in total, announced at the Excellence Awards Dinner.
“We are incredibly proud of our teams – and those from other companies - who competed strongly under pressure, in sometimes tough conditions, across three days.
“We also celebrate our people who were finalists - and winners - of nominated awards that were judged on their efforts during the year,” said Mr Kaka.
Full list of awards Unison Contracting received from Connexis ITO for 2019:
- Emily Flynn: Winner of the Distribution Trainee of the Year Award
- Serah Russell: Finalist for Distribution Trainee of the Year Award
- James Aranui: Finalist for Contribution to Investing in Youth Training and Development Award
- Kevin Piere: Winner HV Indoor Termination (cable jointer competition events)
- Unison Contracting Services, Hawkes Bay: Jimmy Marinus (Foreperson), Josh Wairama, John Andersen and Te-Cohney Whitehouse (Trainee): Winners National Line Mechanic Competition, Crane Event, Equipotential Zone, Dismantle
- Unison Contracting Services, Rotorua: Riki Waru (Foreperson), Aron-John (AJ) Marsters, Shawn Tonge and Maaki Onekawa (Trainee): Third Place – National Line Mechanic Competition, Winners Sportsmanship Award, Winners Pole Install, Old School, Pole Top Rescue, Electrical Testing