0800 2 UNISON

0800 2 86476

Greatest Supporter
Cable locations

Cable Locations

If you require an increase or decrease in the power supplied to your property, we call this an ‘alteration’ to your electricity supply.

Most residential homes have what is known as a ‘single phase’ connection supplying 230 volts, which is more than enough to power our day-to-day lives. Compare this to a major commercial operation with big machines operating 24/7, which needs a supply of 11,000 volts.

So if you have installed some new equipment, or maybe downgraded your operations, you might want us to alter your supply. To request this, you’ll need to complete our ‘New Connection’ request form, to give us the information we need to provide a quote for the work, and then carry out the upgrade or downgrade. You’ll also need the help of your electrician to complete this process. Please be aware that, depending on the complexity of your request, this process can take from four to sixteen weeks to complete, and may include an engineering fee.

Think you have a rough idea where they are?

It still pays to get the cables located. Subsidence and earth works can cause cables to move, so when you look at the life-threatening risk of guessing and getting it wrong, it’s worth taking the time to get them located.

We use cable route tracing equipment and ground penetrating radar to locate and mark underground Unison network cables. In all situations, having underground cables located before carrying out work, on or around your property, is a life-saving decision.

Cable Location and Mark-out service

Unison provides a free Plan Service and also offers a Cable Location and Mark-out service for location of our underground electricity network and fibre network cables.

  • For customers connected to the Unison network, or private land-owners, who are looking to locate underground network cables on their property or near the property boundary, this service is provided free of charge.
  • For customers connected to the Unison network, or private land-owners, who are looking to locate privately owned underground cables (the service line which runs from the road boundary to your mains switch or meter board), customers are entitled to one location service per year, free of charge. Additional requests may incur a charge.
  • For all infrastructure owners, utility asset owners (including territorial authorities) and all utility corridor contractors working in the utility corridor, Unison offers location services for which charges apply.

To find our more about our Cable Locate and Mark-out Service, or to request a Cable Locate from Unison, please click through below.