0800 2 UNISON

0800 2 86476

Greatest Supporter
FAQs on Easements

FAQs on Easements

Some of our powerlines, cables, transformers and poles are located on private property. If these assets were installed before 1 January 1993, then we have the right under the Electricity Act 1993 to access your property to repair and maintain our equipment. 

If the powerlines, cables, transformers and poles were installed after 1 January 1993, then Unison requires an easement to enable us to access your property so we can undertake repairs and maintenance of the equipment. 

An easement is an agreement between a landowner and Unison which gives Unison the right to convey electricity and telecommunications over or under your property. An easement also allows Unison to legally access your property so we can inspect, repair, and maintain the equipment located on your property. 

Unison uses telecommunications signals to control and protect the circuits across the network. 

In most cases Unison will be installing electrical equipment on or under your property. In some instances, Unison’s electrical equipment may already be located on your property and due to the work Unison will be doing to that equipment Unison may require an easement.  

  • Unison is responsible for the repair and maintenance of its electrical equipment and requires easement so we can enter on to your property to repair and maintain the electrical equipment.  

Sometimes Unison may need to install electrical equipment on your neighbours property to enable you to connect to our network. You may need to talk to your neighbour about obtaining an easement so we can provide you with a connection to our network.  

The easement is registered on the title to your land and will show the area of land where the electrical equipment is located. This is called the “Easement Area”. 

Your obligations: 

  • you cannot place any buildings, fences or other structures on the Easement Area
  • you must not plant or grow any tree or shrub on or near the Easement Area which may interfere with Unison’s electrical equipment.
  • you must remove or trim back any tree or shrub on or near the Easement Area which may be causing or likely to cause interference with Unison’s electrical equipment, click here for more info
  • you will need to pay the cost of repair or replacement of Unison’s electrical equipment which are damaged by you or anyone you invite on to your property – this may be your guests or contractors e.g. plumbers, builders etc. 



Service cable: In most cases you will own the electrical lines from the boundary of your property to the buildings located on your property, this is called a “service cable.” You are responsible for the cost of the repair and maintenance of the service cable and the other electricity equipment located on your property which is not owned by Unison.  

Completion Certificate: If you require a competition certificates as part of a subdivision you or your surveyor will need to submit a land transfer plan to Unison prior to the issue of the competition certificate.

  • Submit a land transfer plan to Unison for approval prior to the issue of the Completion Certificate. 

Land Transfer Plan approval: Prior to preparing the easement documentation the Land Transfer Plan prepared by the surveyor will need to be approved by Unison.  You should have your surveyor forward a copy of the Land Transfer Plan and dwg file to Unison’s solicitors for approval.

Point of Connection: This is the point where the customer’s service main connects to Unison’s network.  This is generally on a pole or pillar. 

Point of Supply: Means the point on the boundary of the property at which exclusive fittings enter that property.  There are some exceptions including if Unison and the Landowner enter into a specific agreement the parties can agree on any other point on the property being the point of supply.